How to prepare chocolate Guinness cake
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C/160°C Fan/350ºF, and line a 23cm /9-inch springform tin.
- Pour the Guinness into a large saucepan, add the butter and heat until melted, then whisk in the cocoa and sugar.
- Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla and then pour into the pan and finally whisk in the flour and bicarbonate of soda.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased and lined tin and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a cooling rack.
- For the icing, whip the cream cheese until smooth, sieve over the icing sugar and cornflour and then beat to combine.
- If using double cream, add it and beat until you have a spreadable consistency. If using whipping cream, whisk into soft peaks, then add roughly a quarter into the cream cheese mixture and once this is combined, fold in the rest.
- Ice the top of the cake and voila, you have a showstopper Guinness cake for your guests to enjoy.
Copyright © Nigella Lawson 2004. From FEAST: FOOD THAT CELEBRATES LIFE by Nigella Lawson, published by Chatto & Windus at £30