How to prepare Luis Troyano's red velvet cupcakes
- Set your oven to 150°C fan.
- In a jug mix together the buttermilk and cider vinegar and leave on the side.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment cream together the butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Whisk the eggs in a jug and add them slowly to the mix while beating.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the buttermilk vinegar mix, and beat for 1 minute until well combined.
- Finally add the buttermilk vinegar mix and beat again briefly until well mixed and smooth.
- Put the cupcake mix into a large piping bag and pipe it into your cases distributing it evenly.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool in tin for 1 minute, then get them quickly onto a cooling rack to prevent the cases peeling. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
Make the cream cheese frosting
- Place all the ingredients in a mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Whisk until smooth and the mixture has thickened. It may take quite a few minutes but it will. It will go runny first but stick with it, whisking at high speed.
- Once thickened it can be piped and is totally stable and will not melt.
- If you aren’t eating the decorated cakes within a few hours then they are best kept in a fridge.