How to prepare vegan lime, passionfruit and coconut cake
- Line the bottom of your trifle dish (or any chosen dish) with trifle sponges.
- Make up the jelly, in a separate bowl or jug, following the packet’s instructions.
- Pour the jelly mixture over the sponges.
- Pop in the fridge to set whilst you make the custard (or skip step 5-11 if you’re using shop-bought custard)
- Place the cream in a pan over a gentle heat until simmering, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour mixture and the lime juice and zest.
- Then, whisking the egg mixture all the time with one hand, gradually pour the hot cream into the bowl.
- Immediately return the whole lot back to the saucepan using a rubber spatula.
- Put back on the same gentle heat as you continue whisking until the custard is thick and smooth.
- Pour the custard into a jug or bowl, cover the surface with clingfilm and leave to cool.
- While waiting for the custard to cool, slice five of the kiwis and pop the slices over the set jelly neatly, in two layers.
- Once the custard is cool, pour or spoon over the set jelly and kiwi slices and pop into the fridge.
- Next, whip the cream until you see soft peaks.
- Spoon on top of the custard.
- For the optional chocolate shards, melt 200g of white chocolate, mix in a drop of green food
- Grate over lime rind for extra zing and place in the fridge to set.
- To decorate your trifle, break the chocolate into shards and place into the cream, along with the final sliced kiwi.
- Get ready to wow everyone at your Macmillan Coffee Morning!
Jemma's expert tips
- You can make this dessert in any dish you’d like, a trifle dish, a glass bowl, or wine glasses are just a few examples.
- Do not place your kiwi slices in the dish before pouring over the jelly mixture. Kiwi can cause jelly not to set.
- Use green food colouring to make your elements really pop if you’re going for full-on Macmillan green!
- The green chocolate shards are a completely optional touch, grated white chocolate and kiwi slices will be lovely enough for decoration.
To make the trifle vegan/vegetarian:
- Use jelly alternatives that are available or make fresh lime jelly using agar-agar.
- Replace the cream, custard and lady fingers with available alternatives, or if making from scratch use egg substitutes.
- Use vegan white chocolate.