How to prepare Punjabi pakoras
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Put all the ingredients for the pakoras in a bowl and mix by hand until well combined.
- Transfer two-thirds of the pakora mix to a food processor and blitz until roughly blended (not smooth).
- Put the blended mixture back into the bowl with the unblended mixture, mix to combine, then shape into 6 golf-ball-sized patties.
- Place the patties on the lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- While the pakoras are baking, blitz all the ingredients for the chutney (except the yoghurt) in the blender or food processor until they form a liquid mixture with some texture.
- Add more water if the chutney is too thick, and transfer to a bowl. Add the yoghurt to make it a milder chutney, if you wish.
- Serve the warm pakoras with the chutney, for dipping.
For egg-free pakoras, substitute the egg for ‘flax egg’: 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds combined with 3 tablespoons of cold water in a bowl and left to soak for 5 minutes.
Don’t like cauliflower? Try grated sweet potato, celeriac or carrot.