How to prepare
Preheat oven to 140C Fan/160C electric/GM3
You will need to prepare 2 x 1lb loaf tins (or one 2lb loaf tin) by lining with baking parchment.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Crack in the eggs one at a time and beat thoroughly before adding the next. If needs be, you can add a tsp of plain flour between each egg so the mix doesn’t split.
- Add the two flours and mix well.
- Fold in the zest and oil / flavouring and combine well.
- Scrape the mix into a lined loaf tin and bake for an hour.
- Test the middle of the cake with a skewer and if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Dependent on your oven, it may take longer to cook so just keep testing at 5 min increments.
For the drizzle:
- Heat the juice of the two lemons and orange in a saucepan.
- Dissolve the 100g caster sugar and the icing sugar into it.
- When your loaf has finished cooking, pour your drizzle all over the top of the cake.
- As it cools, the drizzle will get a nice glaze to it and it will crack beautifully when you cut into it.