Skip to main content
For the cake
- 150g dark muscovado sugar
- 175g unsalted butter
- 275g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 175g greek yoghurt
- 180g date puree, made from 250g dates
- 200g unsalted butter
- 400g icing sugar
- Milk, as needed
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 100g double cream
How to prepare sticky toffee cake
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan. Grease and line two 7” sandwich tins.
- Date puree - to make date puree, place 250g dates in a tall pot, just cover with boiling water and leave to stand for 20 minutes, strain dates reserving the soaking water, place dates into a blender and add around 130-150ml of the reserved liquid. Blitz until you have a fairly smooth puree.
- Cream the butter and the sugar, add the eggs one at a time with the flour and the bicarbonate of soda. Fold in the date puree and the yoghurt.
- Divide the batter into the two tins and bake for 28-30mins. Cool and remove from tins.
- Buttercream icing, cream the butter and the sugar until whipped, light and fluffy. Use a little milk to achieve a soft consistency.
- For the toffee sauce, bring the cream to a gentle boil, add the sugar and the butter and whisk to a smooth consistency and ensure the sugar is fully dissolved. Allow to cool.
- To build – sandwich the cakes with the buttercream and cover the sides with the remaining cream. Use a palette knife to achieve a smooth finish and then top your cake with the toffee sauce.