Skip to main content
For the streusel topping
- 25g demerara sugar
- 25g unsalted butter or reduced fat butter spread, very cold, cubed
- 25g plain flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Chopped hazelnuts (optional)
For the coffee muffins
- 400g self-raising flour
- 175g light brown soft sugar
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 large free range eggs, at room temperature
- 300g half fat crème fraiche (contains milk)
- 100g butter, melted and cooled
- 2-3 tbsp NESCAFÉ Original coffee, dissolved in 2 tbsps boiling water
- 4tbsps skimmed milk
You will also need:
- a 12 hole muffin tray and muffin cases
How to make
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4. Place the muffin cases into the tray.
- Put all the ingredients for the streusel topping, except hazelnuts, into a food processor and pulse to make coarse crumbs. Stir in the hazelnuts if using. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and bicarbonate of soda. In another bowl or food mixer, beat the eggs and mix in the crème fraiche, cooled butter, coffee and milk.
- Stir the wet mix into the flour mix, until just combined. It should drop slowly from the beater. If dry, add a little more milk.
- Divide the batter between the 12 cases, filling about half way. Sprinkle the streusel mixture on top and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until well risen and a skewer comes out clean.