Skip to main content
- 200g butter/margarine
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g self raising flour
- 1/2tsp bicarb
- 3 large eggs
- 1tsp vanilla
- 2-3tbsp milk
- 12 pineapple rings
- 2tbsp Demerara sugar
- 150g softened butter
- 340g icing sugar
- 1/4tsp coconut extract
- 1-2tbsp milk
- Toasted desiccated coconut
- 12 maraschino cherries
- Glitter (optional)
How to make
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan and line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cases.
- Cut a piece out of each pineapple ring so they fit into paper cases.
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then add eggs, flour, bicarb, vanilla and mix well. Add enough milk to loosen the mixture a little.
- Fill each paper case 3/4 full, then top with pineapple ring.
- Scatter a little Demerara sugar onto each cupcake and bake for 20-25 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- Place jam into piping bag and snip the end. Once cupcakes are cooled, poke a little hole into each cupcake with a skewer and pipe in the cherry jam.
- To make the buttercream, beat butter then add icing sugar until smooth and light. Add coconut extract and enough milk to loosen.
- Place buttercream into piping bag with a round nozzle and pipe a swirl on top. Roll cupcake into toasted coconut, then add a swirl to the top of each one.
- Place cherries into glitter pot and shake to remove the excess. Top each cupcake with a cherry!