How to make
- Preheat oven to 160° fan and grease and line a 9“ square tin.
- To make the shortbread, rub flour and butter together to resemble fine breadcrumbs, add blitzed nuts, sugar and vanilla and mix well.
- Tip biscuit mixture into the bottom of the prepared tin and press down firmly and evenly with the back of a spoon. Bake for 20-25 minutes until light golden brown.
- For the caramel, put butter, condensed milk, sugar and golden syrup into a heavy-based pan. Heat gently to melt the butter and dissolve the sugar. Turn up the heat, stirring frequently to make sure the mixture doesn’t catch and burn for around 5 minutes until thickened, or until it reaches 105° on a thermometer. Add chopped dates and mix well.
- Pour the caramel on top of the shortbread and use a spatula to level out the mixture evenly. Leave to cool and pop into the fridge to set.
- For the topping, heat the chocolate and butter together in a bowl set over a pan of warm water until dissolved. Pour chocolate over set caramel and pop in the fridge to harden before cutting into slices.
Note: if you want to decorate your millionaire's shortbread with edible flowers, add these while the chocolate is still wet.