- Measure and place the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl and, using an electric whisk or wooden spoon, beat together very soft and creamy. Scrape down the sides.
- Add the eggs, flour, baking powder, almonds and milk and mix until smooth.
- Divide half the mixture between the muffin cases, scatter with half of the raspberries, then spoon the rest of the cake mixture on top. Finish with the remainder of the raspberries.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven preheated to 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 18-20 minutes until risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place the crème frâiche, icing sugar, orange zest and juice in small bowl and mix until smooth. Spoon over the cupcakes, leave to firm up for about 15 minutes, then decorate each one with a raspberry, and serve.
- Make aheadand decorate the cupcakes up to 3 days ahead and refrigerate in a lidded container.
For the cupcakes
- 150g (5oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten, at room temperature
- 150g (5oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1½ rounded tsp baking powder
- 40g (1½oz) ground almonds
- 2 tbsp milk
- 110g (4oz) raspberries, quartered
For the icing
- 110g (4oz) crème frâiche
- 200g (7oz) icing sugar, sifted
- zest 1 orange & 1½ tbsp orange juice
- 12 raspberries, to decorate