Skip to main content
- 450g strong white flour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 7g sachet easy blend dried yeast
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 170ml hand warm water, approx
- 3 eggs
- 25g poppy seeds
How to prepare challah bread
- Put the flour, sugar, yeast, olive oil, water and 2 eggs into a bowl or food processor. Stir well or mix in the processor to form a smooth dough. Tip out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead by hand to form a smooth pliable dough that does not stick to your hands. Add a little extra water if the dough is too firm and a little extra flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Put the dough into a large bowl and cover with cling wrap. Leave in a warm place for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each into a sausage shape approx 35cm long. Pinch the 4 pieces together at one end and plait together along the length. Pinch the ends together and tuck underneath. Place onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover loosely with cling wrap brushed with oil, oil side down. Set aside in a warm place for 40 minutes - 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 200C/190C fan/gas 6. Beat the remaining egg with a pinch of salt. Carefully brush all over the bread. Sprinkle poppy seed over. Bake for 35 minutes or until deep golden brown and the underside of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped with your knuckles. Cool on a wire rack.