How to prepare
- Grease the loaf tin with a little butter and cut strips of non stick baking parchment to line the bottom and the sides of the tin. Preheat the oven to 170C/ 150C fan/ gas mark 3.
- Put the flour, cocoa and salt into a small mixing bowl and set aside. Now , in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, treacle, and syrup until well combined – don’t worry if it separates a little.
- Put the bicarbonate of soda into a mug or small bowl and add the hot water – it will fizz and bubble, so stir gently, then pour into the oil and sugar mixture and whisk. Add the flour, cocoa and salt and continue to gently whisk until the ingredients are just combined. Add the eggs and whisk again. Finally, stir the dark and white chocolate through the mixture.
- Pour this into the prepared loaf tin and ask an adult to put it in the oven to bake for 40-50 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Ask an adult to remove the cake from the oven and let your cake rest in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn it onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- While your loaf cools, prepare the glaze. Ask an adult to help you heat the milk, butter and syrup in a small pan. Stir until everything is mixed together and the butter has melted.
- Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, pour the hot milk and syrup mix over the chocolate and stir until melted. Then whisk in the cocoa powder and icing sugar and leave to cool and thicken a little.
- When your cake has completely cooled, put some greaseproof paper under the cooling rack and pour the icing over the cake. This will catch any icing that runs over the side and save lots of mess. Sprinkle with glittery gold stars to finish.
From Let's Bake! by Cathryn Dresser.